The Flatbush Avenue BID is hosting Distinction: Street Banner Art Competition which includes a pop-up gallery. The art competition invites local novice and professional visual artists to submit artwork based on the theme. A select number of artists will move to the gallery phase of the competition where their work will be displayed in participating businesses in the BID. The public, in conjunction with a panel of judges will vote for the finalists. The final phase will be the unveiling where the finalist’s artwork will appear on sponsored street banners that will be displayed across the Flatbush Avenue BID – which stretches for approximately one mile along Flatbush Avenue from Parkside Avenue to Cortelyou Road – for about one year.
By definition, distinction is excellence that sets someone or something apart from others. The Flatbush Avenue BID sits in the heart of the Flatbush neighborhood and at the crossroads of two major Brooklyn streets (Church Avenue and Flatbush Avenue) in a borough that boasts a considerably high concentration of people of Caribbean heritage. From the retail mix to the restaurants to the overall vibe, the heritage is something unique to be celebrated as it adds to the Brooklyn flavor. Artists are to create artwork with this theme of distinction in mind.
The winning artwork that will be installed on the banners will have to be replicated on a very large scale (banners will be 3′ wide by 8′ high). Therefore, there are very specific guidelines that will need to be followed when artwork is created. Please be sure to read the guidelines carefully and contact us if there are any questions.
- Click the following link for the guidelines Distinction – Guidelines
- All submissions will require a release form, signed by the artist. Click here for the release form – Required release form
- All artists under the age of 18 are required to have a parent/guardian signature as well
The digital event catalog includes information about each judge on our panel and participating artists. Click here to view our catalog with our panel of judges.
The application will be available from October 1, 2018 – October 31, 2018 (5pm). Application is now closed. Please see below for dates of the Pop-Up Gallery portion. Thank you for your interest!
Application period: 10/1/2018 – 10/31/2018
Pop-up Gallery: 11/21/2018 – 12/17/2018
- Here are the businesses within the Flatbush Avenue BID where you can find the Distinction Artists – Distinction Artist Catalog
- Three Stars Unisex Salon – 871 Flatbush Avenue
- Diva Lingerie – 937 Flatbush Avenue
- Style Eyes – 1005 Flatbush Avenue
- Globe Electronics – 725 Flatbush Avenue
- FIB Tattoo Bar – 1051 Flatbush Avenue
- Lola’s Hair – 737 Flatbush Avenue
Distinction Unveiling Reception: March 2019 (Exact date and location TBA)
Street banners to be installed March 2019